How ‘Googlebot Smartphone’ Revolutionizes Mobile Searches?
Google pulled out the big guns yet again. The new changes have made website indexing a bit tougher than before. Is that a bad thing? Not really if you’ve always favored quality over quantity and if you have a good SEO team at hand that’s updated on latest search trends.What’s astonishing is the fact that Google is now keen on making searches more refined, by appointing special crawlers for specific tasks. There’s not just one Googlebot for all the search work. There are specified Googlebots for particular tasks. For example, AdsBot and AdSense check the quality of online ads and where to place them in search results.
Similarly Googlebot Smartphone gives preference to mobile-versions of web pages in case of mobile searches. How is it different from before? You see earlier, desktop versions of a website were indexed in SERP irrespective of a mobile search or a desktop search. But now, mobile versions will be indexed for mobile searches and Googlebot Smartphone is the squad of crawlers entrusted with this job.
If you don’t have a mobile version, it’ll keep on indexing desktop version.
The changes this new search pattern brings to website owners can be summed up as:
Responsive Websites will Rule: If you’ve exhibited far sightedness and opted for a responsive website instead of a desktop only version, you’re good to go. The aim of these changes is always to push users towards getting updated. It’s good that you’ll already be there while others may take their own sweet time to upgrade their websites to responsive themes.
Mobile-friendly content: There’s a conflict regarding website content for responsive websites. Some opt for separate content for mobile versions while staying true to website version. In case of responsive websites, content remains the same for both versions.
You can make the most out of mobile searches by adopting the following practices:
- Design separate content for mobile web pages. While doing so, take care not to stray too far from the original desktop content.
- If you’re going for the same content, make sure it’s not a misfit in mobile pages.
- Mobile versions must have their fair share of metadata.
- Listing of both versions of your website separately.
- Use robots.txt to check the frequency and pattern of indexing. Reverse IP lookup helps to determine if your website is being visited by a real Googlebot or a scammer.
- Opt for custom website development for more server capacity and fast loading page
- Check Href lang links for desktop as well as mobile URLs.
All this is not a one man job. You’ll need an experienced team such as Enterprise Web Cloud, the leaders of Search Engine Optimization in Toronto. With professional SEO experts by your side, you can be rest assured regarding your website ranking.